Monday, April 23, 2007

You might wish that you had never asked the question re Black Flag as I am a horrible singer by any standard but I do know the TV Party song quite well as it was on the Repo Man soundtrack which I bought after seeing the movie twice at the local Hamilton rep cinema back in the day. Not that I'm saying it's a groundbreaking song by any means. Although the movie certainly had a notable effect on my direction in cinema viewing.

As for the egregious omissions that is a mugs game isn't it? The songs that changed my life over the last 40 years bear little if any resemblance to this list and I'm sure each of you would say the same. If I had to choose specific tracks here that would fall into that category then let's go with tracks 5, 12, 15, 23, 24, 26, 27, 30, 36, and 37.

I remember hearing "What Difference Does it Make" by the Smiths and it certainly wasn't their most popular ditty but it was the first song I'd ever heard by the band and I was absolutely floored. Here was a song that spoke directly to me and changed the world as I knew and experienced it. And I think that's the key for any "life changing" song and it has little to do with lists or what the critics think or even what any of you think.

As a final note as much as I love the Cure song perhaps Kyle you can explain to me how it would fall into a "songs that changed the world" category. Can't see how it changed the music scene in any significant way and it was getting close to the best before date for the Cure as a band.

No comments: