Thursday, November 26, 2009

I like your list, Marc, though I confess to not having heard enough Jack Johnson to either frown or applaud his prominent inclusion(s). Though we both apparently dig us some Wilco, for some reason 'A Ghost is Born' consistently rubs me the wrong way and gets worse for me with each listen. Am rediscovering Hope Sandoval's earlier disc from the decade that you included, after recently downloading her latest; the quiet prettiness of 'Suzanne' (not an LC cover) equals or betters any of the Mazzy Star stuff.

Will wait for everyone else's lists before expanding on the reasons my own choices. However, some reasons behind some notable omissions:

"White Blood Cells" - The White Stripes
Was originally on my list, as high up as the 30s. And if we were discussing a list of what we consider the most important discs of the decade, a concept fraught not only with pomposity but a seriousness of purpose unsuited to the casual sharing/piss taking of this particular space, than pehaps it would have rated in my top 5. But if I'm honest with myself, much as I like the album, I almost never listen to it, beyond sticking the breatkthrough single, which will appear shortly on my best songs list, on my shuffle for running.

The Killers - I don't fucking like them. Perhaps there's something to their sound that I should like. Still, no. Ditto Gwen Stefani, every member of the Black Eyed Peas or anyone from any American, Canadian Idol contest.

LCD Soundsystem, Ghostface Killah, Green Day...I don't own these albums. Perhaps I should. Let me know.

Am working on a way (thank you US Thanksgiving) to include my top 100 songs in a listenable countdown format widget from grooveshark, to possibly post tomorrow or Monday. Until then, happy blogging.

No comments: