Thursday, November 19, 2009

Love the post modern take on California music guys, ie a lot of these writers are looking at the anti-dream rather than the promise. But come come, two California lists without the Beach Boys ?! You can, as I do, eschew most or all of the "00"s" Pitchfork idolization of everything Brian Wilson (I've railed about this in previous blogs), but to exclude Beach Boys from a list of Cali music seems just mean. For me Good Vibrations is their peak.

Other necessities would include something by the Byrds - the greatest LA band of all time in my humble view - I would suggest Mr. Tambourine Man for its dreamy (literally) qualities. Since we're talking about LA, what abotu the Doors LA Woman? Nice. And Buffalo Springfield's "For What it's Worth" about the riots on Sunset Strip. Fanstatic. Millions more from the sixties, Grateful Dead, Sanatana, Moby Grape, Quicksilver, Jefferson Airplane, the list goes one (Marc, methinks I'm making you a disk).

And moving on, something from the 70's So Cal scene - the much blogged Jackson Browne (say, Doctor My Eyes), or hell if we're sticking to literal references why not Eagles "Hotel California". On a more modern note, "Unfair" would be my first choice (good job KP), but how about Luna's "California", or wait, that fairly wretched opening song from the OC (Kyle please insert title).

OK it's time I started working.

No comments: