Monday, November 07, 2011

I like it but don't love it Brian ...like so much music these days. I picked up the cd way back then ...perhaps one the more recent that i have purchased; I Met Up With the King has still not worn out its welcome. We have spoken at length about the changing music scape and part of me wonders how much of my lack of enthusiasm is due to the changes in the musical landscape, technological and otherwise, and how much of it is due to me getting old and jaded ...they do, after all, have very sweet voice!

On a brighter note, i did go see Gluck's Iphigenia in Tauris by the coc back in October. It resonates with me to this day and pulls at my heart strings. I think that i would have to say that it is my favourite Opera performance that i have seen to date. It bridged its era with its antiquity past as well as alluding to our present torments ...it was curiously timeful and timeless at the same time. Brilliant staging, stripped down and contemporary, clever and yet not annoyingly so. I would encourage anyone to see it next time it comes around in the COC cycle. I was astounded. The use of water on the stage was breathtaking. The opening aria was accompanied by a peculiar sound ...it was only when the light slowly came up that you realize there is water cascading down the backdrop and towards the front of the stage ...can you use the word wicked to describe an opera?

No comments: