Friday, July 27, 2012

I certainly agree that the amount of music that is readily available now presents a challenge.  But I think that a group of trusted guides has immense value in these circumstances.  I can understand the thinking about looking backwards - as enjoyable as I've found those evenings to be, you can only get together to play old favourites for each other so many times.  But I don't think that means that our focus needs to be firmly and exclusively on very new material.  Whether playing songs for each other at a gathering or typing a blog entry late at night, if you have found a piece of music that you think is appealing that at least some of your fellow metabeaters are likely to be unfamiliar with, then no other criteria is needed.  It could be brand new or 10 years old - the original purpose and real value of this group is the potential to help each other find good music.  I'd give an example, but personally, I'm in a bit of a rut...

No comments: