Sunday, July 29, 2012

Interesting thoughts and comments boys.    Overall I have to say I agree with a bunch of Stu's points: I'd lke to re-invigorate the blog, and have always wished we did more with it than we do (like, more reflections and reviews on music we love and don't love).   And like Mike I would have to say that I'm having trouble finding music I adore, and have for a number of years, which I attribute in equal parts to stage of life, and yes the inundation of digital music.  So I would love to find a way to crack that nut.

On the other hand, I'm not right there with you Stu, in that I think the music competition nights have been a blast by and large, so I'm not so much interested in eviscerating ourselves for those night.   I would say that they were in fact a response to a music vacuum that extended to well before 2010 when we had our first one.   But I do get that we've had a lot of them so lets give it a break for now.   Wouldn't want to rule them out for the future though.   Fun will always part of the agenda for me.  And on another point, can't side with you on eschewing lists - list-making is just so part and parcel to being a guy and loving music that you will have a hard time eliminating it from this or any other music-obsessed cabal.    I've always loved making lists.    And re "oldies", there's no way I'm going to stop commenting on and loving music from the past - hell I probably buy more music from the 50's (jazz) than I do any other decade.  

So what I would like to try, and be happy if some or all of you joined in (I'm not hearing a rah rah from Kylie based on his post) is a once-a-month post of a record I really tried, i.e., had some initial interest in,   played a bunch of times, and have spent time thinking about.   Once a month seems doable.  More often than that risks being ignored (risking that already).   I will also throw out more tangible posts / discussions of music in the hopes of stimulating something from the group (although I do that fairly regularly now and not much comes of it).   No need for too much structure but I'm interesting in and willing to try a minor change in direction.   And I'll embrace the idea of bringing fewer and well-listened selections to the CD club.    Not sure about this week's get together but we'll see.

And DM, great point re the Packers.



No comments: