Sunday, July 15, 2012

I've been wading through my music, and I've compiled my "16 in 16" list.   Brian's concept was broader than "albums" - "pieces of music" was his phrase, I believe.  But I started thinking about songs and backed off because the volume was too daunting.  So I've chosen 16 albums, and I've introduced a somewhat arbitrary restriction of one album per artist on my list.  I'm not suggesting that the rest of you apply that rule - it just helped me narrow things down faster.  I also started with the intention of ranking my 16 choices, but after a few minutes I abandoned that too!  Clearly I lack the decisiveness and discipline required of a music critic.  So in no particular order, my 16 are:


OK Computer – Radiohead
Funeral – Arcade Fire
Music Inspired by the Film “Dead Man Walking” – Various Artists
The Trumpet Child – Over the Rhine
Picaresque – The Decemerists
We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions – Bruce Springsteen
Birds Make Good Neighbors – The Rosebuds
Jerusalem – Steve Earle
Fisherman’s Blues Part II – The Waterboys
Mermaid Avenue – Billy Bragg and Wilco
East Nashville Skyline – Todd Snider
Mule Variation – Tom Waits
By Baby Don’t Tolerate – Lyle Lovett
Either/Or – Eliot Smith
Garbage 2.0 – Garbage
A New Day at Midnight – David Gray


I've been in this group long enough to know that there are some choices on this list that won't be on any other Metabeats lists, and I would guess that a few eyebrows were raised questioningly at a few of these choices.  Nonetheless, I recommend them all highly - they're great albums!

No comments: