Thursday, July 15, 2004

Gord Downie released a book of poems with a companion spoken word disc; i remember it being kind of well reviewed. Did I buy it? No.

Even though I may love someone's lyrics, there's something about the lyrics themselves that lends itself. To me poetry has to be pretty great to get beyond the 'hey this guy's a bit of a wanker' stage (see the published work of Jim Morrison).

Was the Duchovny reference a Stuart-like ruse or did he actually publish a book of poems? I imagine entries like 'Stop Calling me Mulder' and 'My Wife is Hot' or perhaps this:

Scullied

We walked through towns packed with the living dead
Pursued through forests time and time again
Pumped countless crazy creatures full of lead
Saw sights t’would shatter all and sundry’s brains

Of UFOs, Dana’s doubt did persist
She strived speciously for a rationale
That aliens and monsters do exist
Surpassed the comprehension of my ‘pal’

Though countless cellphone conversations shed
Great light o’oer myriad conspiracies
I could not seem to get her in my bed
Or say one time, ‘alas I do believes’

Oh wait! You did! in that sweet final shot
My memory’s gone from smoking too much pot

-
damn. broke that poetry pledge. oh well.

No comments: