Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I believe that Stuart, Brian and I discussed this somewhat a few weeks back when we initially heard the plug had been pulled on the Lolla show. The gist of it I think was that despite the amazing line-up of bands, most of them were really only critically acclaimed bands. Even Wilco has never sold a shitload of records.

Some of these bands like Modest Mouse and the Walkmen might actually only be "cool" amongst the few hundred people that shop at Soundscapes. And I'm not all that sure that the male 18-29 set who make up the majority of outdoor gigs like these really give much of a shit about the bands that were on for this show.

I believe it was Ben Rayner who wrote a column in the Star after the cancellation and his point was that most of us older farts tend to start moving away from the stadium spectacles and the outdoor all-day events and back in to the intimate and ultimately more rewarding small venue shows. I know its come pretty much full circle for me that way. I can't even be bothered with Kool Haus or the Opera House these days. Keep it close, small and cutting edge music and you'll get my lolly.

Call me a music snob but if a band has reached the ACC, the Dome or the Molson Ampitheatre then they're likely not worth listening to.

Perhaps that's why we really get our kicks with guys like GBV, the Wrens, Superchunk, Destroyer, Hayden etc because we're pretty damn sure they'll never reach those grandiose heights. As the succulent Carly Simon once said "makes me feel sad for the rest".

No comments: