Friday, July 16, 2004

"The greatest songs ever written".  First we get poetry now we get this sort of hyperbole.  What is up with this site? Suffice to say that all poetry is naff and I thought we had all agreed that Mrs Miller's albums were at the top of the pile.
 
Just got back from two days on the road in Windsor and listening to CBC where they're compiling the best 50 "popular" tracks of the last century.  Good show and they just wrapped up the 1930's this week.  The panel of experts is picking 5 songs from each decade and for the 30's they included "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" by Robert Johnson but left off Gershwin's "Summertime" recorded for the first time in 1939 and subsequently recorded by hundreds. As the blues guy Stuart does this seem right?  Admittedly I don't even know the Johnson song.
 
Here's the site link.
 
http://www.cbc.ca/50tracks/abouttheshow.html

No comments: