Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I wanted to wait until seeing some important films over the holidays before posting. Then I realized that there wouldn't be any important films released this holiday season. Yes, Brokeback Mountain came out in mid-December so technically qualifies as a holiday release but I'm referring to those movies that are usually released on Christmas Day, that I look forward to seeing on December 27th when Sarah and I get back from our family visitations. This year? Bubkus.

I thought that Woody Allen's 'Match Point' was supposed to be released on the 25th but alas, since I do not live in NY or LA, it was not playing at a theatre near me. I guess 'Munich' is supposed to be an important film but the reviews have been pretty mixed thus far.

Okay, I'm rambling about film in a space that's supposed to be about music. Let me just say then:

1) 2005 was a far better year for music than it was for movies, given that I can easily name 10+ 'great' discs but am forced to google my way through different online lists to try to recall even a handful of movies that come close.

2) Movie audiences have to learn to shut the fuck up. Children seem to know this--I recently saw 'Narnia' and 'Harry Potter' and the kids were far better behaved than the adults. But instead of worrying about declining attendance or piracy, those in the movie business should be doing more to muzzle their audiences. And I'm sorry, Varsity Theatre, $12 for a matinee on a Wednesday? Fuck off.

3) Glad you liked 'Aberdeen', Derek. I know you're a big Lena Headey fan and though her pulchritude is nicely showcased in this film, it's also a pretty moving story about a woman's relationship with her father.

4) Here were the best films I saw in 2005, in no particular order:

-Cache´ (Hidden)
-The Squid and the Whale
-Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
-Broken Flowers
-Nobody Knows
-Syriana
-Goodnight and Good Luck
-A History of Violence
-The Ice Harvest
-2046

I haven't seen: Capote, The Constant Gardener, Munich, King Kong or Crash, so it seems odd that I've excluded any of these, that's why.

Finally, the worst piece of crap I couldn't watch 5 minutes of even though I was on a 5 hour flight award goes to: 'Bewitched' Runner-up: 'Elektra' .

Here's the link to the Least Essential Albums of 2005, always a good laugh. And now, no more lists for awhile. I'll try to post some thought-provoking questions and insightful observations. At the very least, I will link to some.

No comments: