Friday, January 13, 2006

Thanks for the props on the comp, marc. Glad you liked it. Also, good to have you back!

I hope that I don't lose my enthusiasm for new and interesting music as I age. So far it hasn't happened but then some would argue that I haven't necessarily matured with age yet either. I go through phases where I don't listen to much new music and other times where I'm listening to something new every day. October through December were big music months, where I downloaded and listened to close to 30 albums (legally) and almost 400 tracks. I do the same thing with movies and books. Sometimes I think a person needs those down times to better appreciate those up times. Just don't focus too much energy on work....you'll betray the essential thread which binds us to this blog and the cd club: enjoying that which isn't work.

Kind of agree with you with respect to BSS. I'm hesitant to use the word 'disappointed' but, after 3 or 4 listens, I'm not taking to it as quickly as I did 'You Forgot it in People'. I'm hoping that this will change with repeated listenings. The problem with a followup to a great album like 'YFIIP' or Moby's 'Play' is that the artist can either try to recreate the same sound or structure as the great album (ie. '18', which has always sounded to me like a B-sides companion to 'Play') or opt for a different direction altogether (ie. The Strokes' 'House on Fire'). BSS opted for something more inventive and while I'm not sure that it works, I do respect the effort. Also have to agree with Brian re: the 'Pavement' track which is good but comes across as a lesser 'Summer Babe' than an homage to, or titular 'dream' about, the 90s band's sound. Also, has anyone here ever seen them live? Sarah and I were speculating that one of their concerts would probably be more enjoyable for the band than the audience (ie. an extended, self-involved jam session). Is this an unfair assumption?

Stuart, ah dinnae ken ye gave tha rite cheek ta Derek, ye gormless numptie.

"Ah've nivir seen tha lek..." was what you should have said. I suggest you pick up an Irvine Welsh book to use as a reference for all future posts incorporating Scottish vernacular.

No comments: