Monday, July 16, 2007

i don't think I ever used the word 'alternative' in the 80s to refer to the music i was listening to at the time. to me, it was a term that started around the time Nirvanna broke (early 1991). bands like new order and the cure were always called 'new wave' and the only station that played that type of music, CFNY (now 'the edge' but the same location on the dial--102.1), did not start using the alternative label, to the best of my knowledge, until the 90s. i remember finding it irritating that there weren't any commonly used words to describe that music. 'college radio' seemed to be able to account for bands like 'R.E.M.' or 'Dead Milkmen' but it seemed like a bit of an American term that wouldn't necessarily encompass artists from across the Atlantic.

in fact, I recall making a series of cassettes in 1987 that was comprised mainly of songs I'd taped directly off the radio--how's that for audio quality--and they were labelled 'New Wave 1', 'New Wave 2, 3, etc..).

I have a freakishly good memory when it comes to these types of things (ask me to rattle off the last 30 stanley cup winners....come on....i dare you) so I'm saying your colleague has it wrong.

However, you are completely wrong when it comes to Depeche Mode, who are, or at least were for a time being, awesome. 'Just Can't Get Enough' is in the top 5 songs of the 80s, and they have at least 3 great albums (Music for the Masses, Black Celebration, and Some Great Reward), mentioned specifically here if only to draw a potential differentiation point from Derek, who will likely support my claim in general. As punishment for saying this, i invite you to recall the opening bars of 'personal jesus', which will now stay in your head for the remainder of the day.

No comments: