Wednesday, July 11, 2007

OK, 45 minutes later and I (cleverly) put two and two together and figured out that the new Spoon record MUST BE ON E-MUSIC. Oh I am good. So now I'm listening to it...track one is only marginally Joelian to my ears Kyle, but I trust from your note that I"ll be hearing heart attack-ack-ack-ack any moment now. So many bands channeling 70's pop/rock.

A couple of recent (yes, e-music too) discoveries for me were The Slip - their recent release Eisenhower is beat-based indy guitar rock and pretty well done, and a mix of styles that is a little new to me - more emphasis on rhythms and beat than I generally seek out, maybe a bit of The Feelies in their library....but also a lot of Death Cab and Geek Rock influences. Listen to Soft Machine and Children of December to see if it works for you. Through searches for The Slip I came upon Phoenix, which you younger cooler cats probably know all about, much ballyhooed in '06, but brand new to me...and in a generally similar way, quite good. Less geek, more dancy at times, but some very good songs.

No comments: