Monday, July 16, 2007

OK, I've just had a lively debate with my friend at work Jackie on when "alternative" became commonly used to describe rock/pop music that wasn't chart-friendly. I argued that in the 80's we generally referred to anything off the charts as "indy" or occassionally college music, and that the term alternative was more of a 1990's thing. She says that by 1987 she was calling all of her favourite music (she mentioned the Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode..etc) alternative. I didn't remember ever calling the Smiths or Cure alternative (other than possibly as a general reference to dress and sexual orientation...where the term originated I believe and organically grew into an industry term for music).

I never called Depeche Mode anythign because I thought they stunk, but that's beside the point.

Anyone feel like sounding in to help me settle this?

No comments: