Monday, July 30, 2007

While there is no doubt that the brit folk bands, ( I agree the key ones being the ones you mention brian), were interested in the american folk scene and in fact often new their counterparts personally, the brit sound is quite different , being celtic influenced rather then blues influenced. Even on Holidays they ( Sandy in particular) cant help sounding british, see Fotheringay for one of my absolute favorite FC songs..that track doesnt sound american to me and I thing Paul Simon owes a debt towards this british sound ....Also , FC didnt invent it for pentangle, John Martyn etc... they were all part of that scene and new each other , all there fiirst albums are all circa 1968....it was a mass movement that came out of the british and scottish folk traditions which are 100's of years old and the cross fertilization with the burgoning American folk scene...I dont pretend to be an expert on the brit folk scene prior to all the bands brian refers to , but Bert jansches first album from 1965 is absolutely fantastic song writing, he went on with John renbourne to create pentangle and Sweet child is also essential listening... Niow I am rambling, but back to the original question, I love Holidays for the songs, rather then fore any important place in history and I agree with you brian that leige and Leif is better

No comments: