Saturday, August 08, 2009

Hey Kyle as a big fan of OMD and Simple Minds pre their Hughsian fame I'd rather not listen to "If You Leave" and most especially "Don't You Forget About Me" ever again. Now I'll have that damn song in my head for days.

Loved the man's movies and his soundtracks had many great tracks. If I had to pick one movie and one song I'd go with "Some Kind of Wonderful" (produced by Hughes) and "I go crazy" by Flesh for Lulu. I suppose his movies were aimed at your generation (13-19? at the time) but I saw most of them in the theatre and looking up most of the main players I see that they are all slightly older or marginally younger than the rest of the old farts who post on this blog.

Back to the best of the noughties for a moment. You could do a lot worse for the best songs of the decade than 3 tracks from one of my faves from the last 10 years. Band of Horses debut album with the fairly obvious choices "Funeral", "The Great Salt Lake" and the less obvious "Wicked Gil". I see on allmusic that none of these songs receives the coveted tick mark. Do they use a random number generator to make these selections? You'd have to be comatose to not select "Funeral" as a standout at the very least.

No comments: