Monday, August 17, 2009

Thanks Kyle. Kind of Blue, and the theory behind it, is something I've always found fascinating. It's not completely removed from the (generally much reviled) Schoenberg twelve-tone system of composition. I have a bunch of George Russell records, and while they are more difficult listens than KoB (almost all jazz is) they are very interesting, and come alive with careful listens. Honestly (it's a bit of an illness of mine) I get excited just reading about that music. Not excited excited, you know....just...never mind.

Mike, not to put you on the spot, but (and I appreciate that you are not a jazz fan) I recall you many years ago describing KoB as "mindless jamming", when your brother Brian foisted it upon you. Have you warmed up to it at all over the years? If no, will this article convince you to give 'er another try? (I think I know the answer to that one....:) )

No comments: