Friday, January 08, 2010

I like the suggestion, D. So would this mean that we'd have different years down on paper, say a 1970s hat vs. a 1990s hat and I might pull '1993' out of your hat and you'd pull '1977' so then it would be a fierce battle between songs from these two years? For example, you would play 'Two Princes' by the Spin Doctors and I would counter with 'I Just Want to Be Your Everything' by Andy Gibb? Wait, would those be good examples?

On the topic of irritating music, one additional twist I thought we could add would be to have an 'auto-disqualify' feature, whereby each attendee could write down the name of one song, from any decade, that he considers to be so goddamn awful that, if played, triggers an automatic disqualification for the person who has chosen to play it. We obviously would not disclose our choices, at least until after the end of the evening, and it lend a touch of drama and pressure to the proceedings. So if, say, Brian were feeling overconfident and decided he could get away with playing "We Built this City" by Starship, and this were written down on my sheet of paper, I could then wave it and shout, 'Disqualify' and he would automatically be disqualified from that round and any future round. The only unresolved question, in my mind, would be whether he would get to stay for the rest of the evening or would have to leave Marc's place immediately. If this sounds like I'm picking on Brian then picture one of yourselves yelling it at me, and me having to high tail it out of Marc's place, Barry Manilow's Mandy tucked against the tail between my legs.

No comments: