Friday, January 29, 2010

Very cool link, Mike, and potentially hours of good reading and listening. For someone lacking in musical education such as myself, it's a great overview of concepts and terminology as well. I have added this as a link on the right navigation side of the page (moving the reading links up and the 2000s lists down) for those who may want to come back to it later, as I surely will. My father in-law, who is a Beatles fanatic, has always been adamant about the fact that, although their early stuff is now dismissed as simple or cute, when compared to their later work, the arrangements were far more complex than most if not all the pop music that preceded it. The Angels, "My Boyfriend's Back", released in 1963, mere months before the Beatles appearance on Ed Sullivan, seems eras away from a song like "Love Me Do".

Hard to comment further on Pollack's work, given that I haven't even begun to get through it, but I do have to commend him for undertaking the task.

No comments: