Sunday, December 05, 2004

Admittedly I've played neither of these discs at a CD club but for two pretty good and different reasons. The first disc entitled simply "Live" by Spring Heel Jack came out about mid-2003 but I purchased it late in the year and only now am I succumbing to its charms. With only two tracks on the album, running each close to 40 minutes, the allure of this album is far from being readily apparent. One might be tempted to simply switch off after the first 6 or 7 minutes of track #1 (entitled descriptively Part I) finding little to hold on to other than abrasion. This might be described as the anti-Tortoise. Some might flee at the rather aimless flight of take-off but with Coleman, Shepp, Ayler and others taken head on it would take a bit more than seeming pointlessness to scare me off. Unlike some of the aformentioned Spring Heel Jack and friends give you plenty of room to come up for air and this is where the wonders of the record come to the fore.

With Han Bennink on drums, Evan Parker on sax, William Parker on bass, Matthew Shipp and J Spaceman (ex of Spiritualized) on guitar there's plenty of talent here and they all get their chance to shine. It's still not something you'll want to play first thing on a Sunday morning but the music ebbs and flows and changes directions in a myriad of ways, that allows the listener to discover a bit more with each listen. And this is music that demands that you do listen to it. No dish-washing background noise this.

Also on my year-end list and regretfully an album I have never purchased (thanks to the TPL) is "Hearts of Oak" by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. Ted and the boys always seem to garner the good reviews which obviously I've always skimmed because up until recently I was under the impression, due to the band name, that they were purveyors of electronic music. To my delight nothing could be further from the truth. I have no idea if they receive much in the way of commercial airplay but if I was 17 again and looking to kick out the jams this is what I'd want to hear on my radio. Its hard poppin, briskly played but still erudite music. They've taken some of the best of the Posies, Elvis Costello, and the politically savvy Jam and turned it into something that College stations would find hard to resist. "Ballad of the Sin Eater" might be the best summing up of the mood in America post 9/11 that could be captured outside of a lengthy article in Harpers: "...you didn't think they could hate you now, did ya?". Time to invest some coin in their just released CD.

No comments: