Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Some notes on your posts...

The Spring Heel Jack sounds intriguing given the band members but I'm not sure if I'm sold on your review of it, Derek. Aimlessness? Abrasion? Anti-tortoise? Sounds terrible, which of course means I'm really interested in hearing it and will in all likihood come to rave about it. Damned if I can locate anything more than a 20 second stream online...you must bring it to the next cd club.

I may have to pick up the American Music Club disc...I've been digging the tracks I've downloaded recently...still hate the name of the band though...reminds me of Dick Clark or Columbia House...

Marc, wouldn't you say that the Hiorthoy disc represents an audacious claim to the vanguard of exceptional neo-minimalist experimentation? No? It's just shit, then? Ah, well. They all can't be good purchases. Which reminds me that soon the Onion website will be posting its yearly 'Least Essential Album List', which is always good for a cathartic giggle or two. Hope it comes out this week.

And did it feel good for those of you who have thus far listed discs which weren't technically released in 2004? Feel you're entitled to choose any goddamn disc that has crossed your path in the last twelve months? I guess there are no real rules here but if raging against these imaginery contraints has inspired you to passionate expression, so much the better.

I went with the idea of choosing five and then choosing my favourite 'singles' to highlight songs that were great on albums that were only just good. If you guys want to include more than 5 discs or any number of noteworthy songs, go for it. Or actually, don't. You're not allowed. Don't even try it! It is verboten. That's German for step off.

Since I'm out of the office Thursday/Friday I will post my picks tomorrow.

No comments: