Friday, December 03, 2004

The end of another year and the start of a season of top ten lists (or is it five)…a chance for reflection on where our musical choices have taken us…the same old predictable meaningless drivel or down new and inspiring avenues of discovery.

Starting off my top 10 list of favs. would be Kim Hiorthoy, "For The Ladies". Now the only reason this could make it onto my top ten is that I purchased less than ten albums released in 2004. This album, for lack of a better term is the greatest disappointment I have ever picked up in my life (music, that is)….EVER. I had heard some of Kim’s work on Denise Benson’s show and really dug it. A smooth Scandinavian blend of jazz and electronica, soulful and cool but pushing the limits of what I have heard…just a bit. So I walk into soundscapes not having done my research and pick up his latest release….not a song on the album…barely even a note. 10 tracks of ambient noise, much of it barely audible at normal listening levels, which is ok with me since it’s all shit! Often I might find myself being generous, embracing such an experiment as art, but not this time….sorry Kim. The only reason I am not throwing this one into the Michigan landfill is that I want the ultimate example of how absurd the record industry is. Will I ever pick up the Hiorthoy I was really looking for? I don’t know! Will I ever implicitly trust Soundscapes again? Not bloody likely. Caveat emptor! This sucker was born on a day long, long ago.

No. 9 on the top 10…Jens Lekman “when I said I wanted to be your dog”…I just don’t get It!...highly rated by the critics? Not sickly sweet but rather tastes of sacrine…has no nutritive value and leaves a nasty taste in your mouth. Ixnay on the Lekman eh!
...a dog indeed!

No comments: