Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Final album is the year is The Walkmen's 'Bows + ....wait, Derek already talked this one up, quite well I thought. So I'm gonna have to go with Elliot Smit...actually I haven't listened to it as often as my wife has so I can't really make that call.

Instead, let me go with Bebel Gilberto, whose self-titled album washes over me with its warm vocals, lush production, and fluttery bossa nova beats. Just noticed that all my faves from 2004 are ones that comfort me. Is this my reaction to the cold weather or do I have deep-seated womb issues? This is a rhetorical question so don't answer please.

One album that won't comfort me is the new Fiery Furances disc that you raved about, Derek. I've only listened once so I'm willing to give it many listens and chances and hope that it rewards me as it has you. However, jarring does not begin to describe my reaction to it on first play, particularly because I've listened to some tracks off of their EP and they are markedly different.

If I don't talk to yall tomorrow night, have a bitchin' christmas and may santa leave you many presents.

Topic for next week: discs I got for christmas or purchased at boxing week sales!



No comments: