Wednesday, April 26, 2006

C’mon Brian, I might be a wanker but I’m not that much of a wanker!… speaking of wankers, maybe you can follow Stuarts lead and get the spelling of my name right… even if you can’t get your own son’s name correct!… wank, wank , wank! (just kidding, but then I’m sure you are not about to take offence from a wanker)

…and as for you Stuart, I’m sure YOU had a good laugh about it after blowing up your brand new laptop!!!

I have a proposition to make… a project of sorts… perhaps a long term project for metaBeats. I think it would be interesting for us to come up with a definitive top 50 list of the greatest jazz recordings, as a group. What I am proposing is that we all put forth a suggestion for a master-list and put it to a vote… think of it (if you must) as a national play-list but with a clearly defined set of parameters or criteria … sound interesting?

What I would propose is that we first decide what we feel should define the list and that then each of us contributes thoughts on particular recordings (albums) that we feel are worthy of making (or not) the top 50 (or whatever number) over the next several months. After we have exhausted all our suggestions we put it to a vote with some mystical point scheme that maybe Stuart can concoct and we tally the votes at the end of the year.

The reason that I suggest this is, in part, that I find it interesting that many of us are on different pages when it comes to jazz. I have often wanted to broaden my understanding and knowledge of classic jazz and I think that there are several amongst us who love to articulate (pontificate) the virtues of their favourites.

One of the things that has come clear to me over the past several days (something that I was previously aware of but denying) is that I am far less aware of the people who play on various jazz recordings than I am of the recordings themselves, and woefully unaware of various artists all together.

Interested, or just too much work?

No comments: