Monday, April 24, 2006

On my list of Jazz greats would also be Dave Brubeck who I was fortunate enough to see when I was studying in Paris in the Eighties.

I think there is still a lot of good jazz being created these days, it, however, comes in different forms. Now maybe you can’t compare Gotan Project, Bugge Wesseltoft, Amin Tobin, Medeski Martin and Wood, Erik Trufazz (whoever or whatever you want to define jazz to have become) to your all time greats but it is still good Jazz (?). Stop lamenting about the past and explore some new territory. Thankfully, the one thing that the jazz greats did do, was leave us some wicked recordings of their live performances that we can enjoy again and again.

Personally I would have loved to have seen Johann Sebastian Bach perform the Toccatta and Fugue in D minor at St Blasius in Muhlhausen.

As for the Band of Horses, Stuart, I’d love to get out and see them before one of them kicks the bucket! The 13th sounds fine.

No comments: