Sunday, April 23, 2006

Since nobody asked here are my all-time favourite jazz performers. I'll keep it to 20 although that ain't easy.

John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Wayne Shorter
Sonny Stitt
Kenny Dorham
Joe Henderson
Hank Mobley
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
Jackie McLean
Roland Kirk
Clifford Brown
Charles Mingus
Andrew Hill
Archie Shepp
Freddie Hubbard
Lester Young
McCoy Tyner
Stan Getz
Ben Webster

And so you might say what is the fucking point of this exercise? Well as far as I know only 4 of the list of jazz greats above is still with us today. Shepp at 68, Hill at 68, Tyner at 67 and Shorter at 72. And the great thing is that these four gentlemen are still producing music. Sadly one of the giants on this list, Jackie McLean, left for the big vamp in the sky on March 31. I just learned of this last night while listening to Jazz FM as it didn't come to my attention at all while in South Africa.

Slowly getting to my point. I regret now not having seen Jackie McLean while he was with us. With Brian in tow I've been lucky enough to see McCoy Tyner, Stanley Turrentine, Ray Brown and Cedar Walton all elder statesmen in the jazz game.

My question to you blogoids is, are there any artists, since departed (recently or a long time gone) or soon to be playing on the other side that you regret not having seen? I suppose this could also include artists who while still very much alive are no longer performing. Shakin Stevens and Gilbert O'Sullivan for example.

No comments: