Thursday, April 27, 2006

I think any of those reasons is fine Stu. In my mind, it would be more about listing the jazz music you love, regardless of why. Although why obviously becomes an interesting sidebar - 'cause you know some debate may ensue. And don't go choosing stuff because it's reputed to be great if you don't actually love it. A pox on those who do such things.

I think it might be worth clarifying whether we're talking about all jazz, including vocal recordings, and are we just going to jumble all periods of jazz into one master list. One of the things that might make it difficult (or not, depending on your perspective) to choose old recordings is that the whole concept of a cohesive long play record is basically a post 1950 thing, so, for example, Bix Beiderbecke never made an album in his life. Just recorded a bunch of songs which were collected and released. Doesn't mean his "albums" can't be great (some of his are) but it's a whole different thing than A Love Supreme.

I tend to think we'll mostly be choosing bop and post-bop anyway, but thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, I've got some listening to do.....

No comments: