Monday, April 24, 2006

Dolphy, Evans, Lovano, Jarrett, Coleman, Gordon, Brubeck... the list is nigh on endless.

Really like the fact that today has now been unoffically declared Bud Powell day. Must make it a point to make While I was away I came across a Sonny Stitt disc that I hadn't seen before from 1949 called unimaginatively "Sonny Stitt/Bud Powell/J.J. Johnson" but still three of my fave jazz guys. For some reason, the crap name, the bizarro cover, the overpriced disc I didn't purchase it. Figured I'd get it back home. What a wanker (Marc can perhaps relate) I am. I haven't been able to find it anywhere in town and now that I've listened to some of it on-line I'm just itching to find it. Do any of you own this disc? Must make certain that a Powell CD is my next purchase.

Tragically Bud Powell died at the age of 41 and his younger piano playing brother Richie died at 24 in the same car accident that killed Clifford Brown. If you haven't read Geoff Dyer's book "But Beautiful" I can't urge you strongly enough to do so. The short fictional snapshots of the tumultuous lives of Bud and other jazz greats like Lester Young are incredibly moving. You can always borrow the copy I bought Brian years ago which I think he still hasn't got around to.

No comments: