Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Flashback to 1991-1993 and the world was ruled by all things grunge. Whether you dug it or not there was no avoiding it. Where am I going with this you may ask.

Well my nephew, who is big into playing his guitar, just turned 14 (born in early 1993) and he scored an IPod from his mum for his birthday and as a result I picked up a handy little 400 page book for him titled "The Pocket DJ" which gives you (him) some guidance with respect to cool music lists. There are recommended playlists for the likes of The Smiths, Fela Kuti, Bjork and Neil Diamond for example. And then there are playlists by genre, one of which is grunge. So I figured I would cut him a CD with the IPod friendly grunge playlist and here is the 18 track list:

Nirvana - Lithium
Hole - Miss World
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Pearl Jam - Evenflow
Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You (my personal fave)
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush
Nirvana - Come as You Are
L7 - Pretend We're Dead
Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Bush - Everything Zen
Alice in Chains - Rooster
Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box
Everclear - Santa Monica
Bush - Glycerine

3 tracks that were listed in the book didn't make the cut due to CD space limitations but I don't think he's missing much leaving out Temple of the Dog, Candlebox and Babes in Toyland.

So here's the thing are there any primo grunge tracks that they've missed out on here? The list is solely US based with the exception of Bush. Were there no other UK grunge bands (Swervedriver??) or even Canadian standouts? What I'm thinking is if he likes this CD I may be required to come up with a second one in a similar vein.

No comments: