Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Personally I would put "Today" on, since it's more of a pure grunge number, much as I love Disarm.So, maybe I was just more into grunge then the rest of you, but it strikes me that there is at least a whole other disk of music once you start thinking about it...

On the Canadian scene, how about Treble Charger (Red or Even Grable), Ghandarvas (First Day of Spring or Downtime), Rusty, (California, Groovy Dead, Wake Me), Pure (Blast...though it's really grunge pop), Change of Heart (there are a few from there early 90's releases Tummycukle is one album but there's another, though the names escape me), there are other local bands if I think about it....

And on the big stage, bands like Helmet and Tool were huge on the dark nasty side of grunge, whereas on the pop side The Posies Frosting on the Beater is maybe the best record of all (I would suggest Flavour of the Month or Solar Sister, though Dream All Day was a fine single), and you can't dismiss Hole (Miss World or Violet), plus what about the Breeders (Cannonball is a great grunge rock single, or Saints)...I'll scour my collection for more.

(OK, I think I probably was more into grunge then the rest of you)

What was interesting about the grunge phenomenon was it influenced bands who had never rocked out before to plug in their guitars and make big noises - Andrew Cash, for example, make a great loud rocking record called "Hi" in 1993...then retreated back into his shell of country folk when grunge "died" (literally and figuratively). There are numeorus other examples. If you made a guitar record in 1993-1994 it had to rock. Sigh.

No comments: