Thursday, January 11, 2007

Much as I'm enjoying the grunge discussion, I'd probably make a distinction between core grunge bands, like those predominantly from Seattle (Nirvanna, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, etc.) and those that are of the grunge era, such as bands like Weezer and the Doughboys, which have a similar grunge guitar sound but don't seem to be coming from the same darker emotional place. I'd say the Breeders aren't technically 'grunge' but are definitely 'grunge era', and 'Cannonball' is an amazing song, love that groovy base line. I like your 'grunge pop' as a sub-class though, bri.

I'd put Catherine Wheel and Swervedriver into the 'Shoegazer' camp (along with Spirtualized, Ride, Slowdive, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, and perhaps Curve), which may be of the grunge era, but seems to be more about creating walls of harmonic distortion than about angst-filled, quiet-loud-quiet, a little more straightforward guitar music, which is how I'd characterize grunge.

Agree with most of you that a Pumpkins track is much needed on the grunge compilation. My suggestion would be for 'Today', 'Cherub Rock', 'Mayonaise' or 'Drown'. Derek, if you chose 'Today', tell your nephew that you expect him to replicate the layered guitars that kick in 10 seconds into the song. And hey, why no Glueleg? I recall you cherishing them so...maybe a post-grunge-avoid list is in order....

I remember when the first Sloan single, "Underwhelmed", was released, they were considered Canada's contribution to grunge but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't include them in that group. You might want to add 'Happy' by hHead, which is a crap song in my opinion but at least gives you some CanCon.

Reading the words, "I Mother Earth" put a smile on my face. Never liked them either but thinking about how I never liked them makes me laugh.

No comments: