Tuesday, May 03, 2005

For the life of me I just know that I have something going on Saturday May 14 but I'll be damned if I can remember what it is, so let's say I'm free that night and you jazzbos are up for a night at the Rex there is a quintet being led by William Carn on trombone, that I'd very much like to see. Here's a review of their new disc from the Star several weeks back:.

WILLIAM CARN
Other Stories (Indie)
Trombonist William Carn is a charter member of the impressive new generation of players that is making an impact in these parts. You'll hear why on his debut CD, recorded in August, which shows off imaginative composing abilities as well as his bright, open playing and appealing, polished tones. Carn wrote all nine tunes here, and his top-bracket band revels in music that signals a keen ear for lyrical melody and creative harmony. With saxophonist Kelly Jefferson there's a powerful front line and since Juno winner David Braid is on piano, you know you're in for a good time. Kieran Overs on bass and drummer Anthony Michelli provide the pulse, the bassman turning in strong solos, too. All the bandsmen stretch and there's good rapport between them and the composing contrasts are well illuminated. Appealing tracks: "Malice," "Time Flies" plus the duo of "Ghosts" and "Ghosts 11."

No comments: