Monday, May 02, 2005

I'm sure we played more and I just got lazy about keeping track. Two housekeeping notes: I have a library cd case for the classical piece (Sinfonietta) by Janacek and also a Beethoven/Schubert disc w/out the case. I think these are both yours, Derek but I could be wrong. Let me know as I'm sure the library disc needs to get back sometime soon.

Also, I've learned through my wife that the flower pot on our kitchen counter was indeed a hiacynth, as Marc had skillfully noted, and not a crocus, as Derek and I claimed. These links should put everyone's minds at ease:

Hyacinth
Crocus

We watched 'Dig!' this weekend, a documentary about the Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre. Even if you're not a big fan of either band, I think you'll find it fascinating to watch how two sets of musicians grapple with questions of creative integrity, what it means to be successful, and how to navigate the pitfalls of the music industry. And man, do they ever make different choices. Rent it so we can discuss it further (here or over beers).

I was unfamiliar with the music of BJM prior to seeing 'Dig!' but will soon be picking up some of their stuff. Kind of a layered, psychedelic jangly pop sound that seems to channel a late 60s vibe while still sounding quite new. Most of their catalogue is available at emusic.com so I will probably download it once my monthly alottment refreshes. Anyone own any? Thoughts, opinions, rants?

No comments: