Monday, May 02, 2005

Stuart, far be it from me to leave you hanging once again.

It's my day off today (yeah you prats probably think that's everyday for me) and I headed over to the small record store on McCaul Street called Penguin Music. My main reason for heading there was they are the only store in the city that I've seen carrying the Aussie band the Lucksmiths new CD. I picked up their last disc while down under a few years ago and I might have even played it at a CD club in the distant past.

The guy behind the desk was right into the band and said the new disc was fab. After flattering me on my choice he then proceeded, like all good salesmen, to try and sell me something else. He pulled off the shelf a disc by a Danish band called Labrador and said I should give it a listen on the deck. Having nothing else to do I listened to 4 or 5 tracks. Good disc, if a bit on the sweet side. If you like Camera Obscura, the Blow Monkeys, Stereolab etc, check out the band's website at:

http://www.labrador.dk/

Kyle I'm thinking you'll like these guys and perhaps Stuart. Brian and Marc check it out regardless.

One other note. I picked up the Jazz festival program today and I'd recommend that we check out (for those available) David Murray and the Gwo-Ka Masters. It's a free event on Friday June 24 at 4pm. Bit of a crappy time slot but hey it's free and their disc of last year is incredibly funky.

Another CD club in June suits me fine. I might even host if it forces me to stick around until the end of the night.

No comments: