Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Beyond 'Juicebox', I've heard little of the new Strokes. The reviews have been fairly subdued but of course this doesn't mean anything. I haven't been all that motivated to go out and buy it, though. Perhaps owning two albums is enough for now. Should I pick it up? Would I be a food not to? (Am I a fool now regardless, you may well ask, though please don't or at least don't answer in the affirmative).

Animal Collective continues to grown on me. The opening track, 'Did you see the words' was probably my most listened to song for January. Structurally, it reminds me a bit of the Arcade Fire's 'Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)', with its slow-build, quiet vocals giving way to almost a pleading desperation, joined by a harmony of 'oh's and 'woos', incessant drumming and...okay, i'm getting carried away but needless to say, I'm digging it.

Bands like AC and Deerhof tend to make albums that practically demand further listening. I never quite got my head around all the songs on 'Milk Man' or 'Apple O', but there are definitely some interesting moments on both. 'Four Runners' seems a lot more coherent than the former two, as well as being a little more cheerful.

The only other new stuff I've been listening to recently has been the High Dials and Quantic Soul Orchestra, both very different but both very good. The former has a Montreal-based, Teenage Fanclub pop sound while the latter is more rousing, funky party music, with some great vocals (from the UK I believe).

No comments: