Thursday, February 16, 2006

Isn't Harper was more a Bif Naked man...

Jesus fucking H christ!!! And here I thought the grammy award nominations were beyond the pale. At least Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder, who shouldn't really be nominated for any work after 1975 (some would say earlier for Sir Paul), are legends who will forever be remembered in pop history. But Nickelback? 2 lameass contest winners ? Jesus f...

Who selects the Juno nominees? It's not the National Playlist people, who can come up with from stinkers from time to time but wouldn't dare, on even their most self-indulgent, opiate-influenced days, advocate such a head-scratching, childish, cesspool of a list, featuring such outdated, unoriginal selections. I'm guessing it's a combination of music executives and their pre-teen offspring.

There was a time when very little Canadian music was played or heard or appreciated by Canadians. Often the Juno awards would celebrate mediocrity and I’d think, “Well, I guess they didn’t have much to choose from”. Nowadays, nothing could be further from the truth. Arguably, some of the best pop music in the world is being made in Canada, and I say this not because I’m rooting for the home team but because, well, it's true.

I guess it’s fair to say I won’t be tuning in for the broadcast but I guess the bigger question is, “Why?”

When you have so much depth from which to choose, why in the hell would you pick these nominations? And more importantly, who can I shake and maybe slap in the face to get a proper answer?

Here, by the way, is the summary judgment on Nickelback’s latest, which I looked up after wondering, “Is it just me? Or just me and Derek and the rest of the club?” Apparently not:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/nickelback/alltherightreasons

No comments: