Friday, February 24, 2006

Quiet week this week boys. Kyle, no questions to consider for the weekend?

Let me lob one out there.

I'm thinking.......

OK, how about this. What do ya'll think about the influence of black (pop) culture on pop music. Personally, I think it's at an all-time high. In the thirties, forties, fifties, sixties, seventies (the eighties seemed to drop off a bit, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash and LL Cool J notwithstanding....I knowI missed about fifty seminal rap-sters) I believe the influence, perhaps because it was still relatively marginal (through jazz, soul, blues, etc) to have raised the level of pop music. Now I think it's hit its peak and has turned in on itself....I'm generalizing of course....

It seems to me that black culture has become the disco beat of the day - mix in a little "black" sound, or a little mysoginist body language, and the pop world sees your track as being more real, more more street-level, yadda yadda. I find it all a little "wrong" and see, primarily, the dilution of some fantastic musical pedigree and concepts.

Thoughts?

No comments: