Tuesday, March 08, 2011

And I can't understand why Hey Jude polarizes the listening public!

I love the song to death - perhaps it's my romantic inner self coming out, but HJ really works for me. In terms of (mixed) critical acclaim, I think for no other reason then being perhaps the first (and I still put it up with the best) modern power ballad (MPB), it deserves to be at the top. The MPB template hasn't changed since - the earnest solo-accompanied singer building over several minutes to the big all-band crescendo with multi-layered vocals. Myriad examples of this style, from Dream On, or Lightning Crashes, even Stairway, though Plant and Page couldn't resist pounding it out at the end. And HJ was the first (as an aside, Derek, do you love the Beatles yet?) I also admire the way Macca sings the number (come on, it's amazing), the melody is gorgeous, and the production is unbelievable. 10 out of 10*.

Re the Eagles, hey, don't shit all over me, I admitted up front they were uncool and embarrassing. But, I do take exception to some of Kyle's points (and so begins my effort to convice you of SOME merit of this music, KP). First off, there's nothing half assed about the Eagles. If anything, it's all craftmanship and no heart. They were a rare band that could both play really well (great guitar players) and sing beauitfully, with multiple lead vocalists. So in that way they were actually outstanding. And as a relic of the coke-addled California scene from the seventies, they are historically (almost) important. The sixties ended, and with it seemed to go much of the "seriousness" of music. Certainly in Cali - where great bands like the Byrds and Buffalo Springfiled engendered The Eagles, and Poco (though also briefly CSNY, thank God). Anyway, whether it's them, Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, America, yadda yadda they were part of a major movement. There were a gazillion bands below the surface making that rocking country music, but The Eagles were the exemplar. Their song have great melody, awesome (though a tad polished) singing, interesting-enough lyrics, and perhaps most importantly, great variety. And nostalgia has a strong pull - you could't grow up in the seventies without hearing the Eagles ad nauseum. Their songs are well constructed and beautifully played, and when you're a kid, good pop stylings are highly effective! So while it's true that I can no longer separate my longing for simple years of early teenagedom from my adult ability to filter out vacuous music, I will say that I genuinely enjoy when a bunch of their songs come on. I tend to prefer the more country influenced ones (I'm a bit more into that genre that KP it would seem) - so I would suggest Lyin' Eyes, Take it to the Limit, and Peaceful Easy Feeling (I would have suggested Take it Easy but....). True Confessions - I actually really like Best of My Love, which was a huge cross-over hit on easy listening radio. Ouch. But hey a great song is a great song. Stuart, Mike, I feel a need for some defense here!! Help!

Thanks for the driving-tune ideas, I am beginning to compile and will post up my final list. Would still love to hear from Mike G and Stu, and a less God-like Kyle. And is anyone else planning to throw out a guilty pleasure? Duran Duran is too simple (and almost retro cool), so doesn't count. Something truly questionable.








*from "Brian Doyle's Record Rater", 2010 edition.

No comments: