Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Derek, when ARE we getting our high school prog rock band back together? I know I was only 9 or so when we started belting out April Wine in your parent's garage--can you still do the harmony on 'Just Between You and Me'?

Have to admit, this is the first time I can claim I've heard 'Phasors on Stun' (or at least had it pointed out to me before or while listening to it...doubtless I must have heard it sometime on Q107). Though the synth sound is definitely of its era, the song still stands the test of time. Odd that you can't get it on itunes. Seems they do offer a few FM albums but not the one you mentioned, Mike. Brian, am happy to learn more and receive a disc at an upcoming music event.

Stu, agree that I'll probably want to listen to Elliott Smith in 20 years but would I necessarily want to listen to Pantha du Prince? Or Avi Buffalo? Or a few others that I enjoyed in 2010 but may not in 2030. I ask because, while I'm pretty certain I'm still want to own my music going forward, I'm not certain that I want to own all of it. Or rather, that I don't necessarily need to own all of it.

Last night I installed the Rdio iphone app and started playing around with the free 7-day account that I set up. I discovered I could not only stream to the phone, which was semi-useful, as I can of course connect this to the stereo and play through the house. But I also noticed I could sync/save songs to the device itself to play even when not connected to the internet. I noticed that the new Wye Oak album was a featured new release so I saved it and listened to it on the way into work this morning. First listen: pretty good, similar to what we heard last summer live. I also saved the new R.E.M. and, because Derek played this for me recently, 'Crocodiles' by Echo & the Bunnymen, which I do not currently own.

Perhaps I'll want to buy the Wye Oak album so I can do with it what I please--put songs on mixed cds, hoard digitally as long as my media will hold, put on a smaller ipod shuffle, mp3 player, etc.--but do I need to? Am I better off taking the $9.99 I'd pay for the single disc and use it to listen to as many (within reason and limits of availability, of course) discs as I'd like, knowing that some of these will only appeal to me in the short term anyway? It may be worth it to spend $10 a month to essentially sample what's new, rediscover what's old.

Still testing but it may be an interesting way to discover new music, and Mike, since you have another $12 you're no longer forking over to emusic, you may wish to explore this option. Warning though: they do not have 'Phasors on Stun' by FM either.

No comments: