Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nice to have a week in the office to work on strategy and presentations, which has afforded me some listening/screwing around time with this Rdio site.

Once you get over the fact that nothing you're listening to on the site is ever private....oh wait, you can't get over that? Well, than this site might not be for you. But if you can, well, it's a bit of a blast. Not just because it's fun to watch Marc add music to his account with the speed and intensity of a washed up tv actor from a shitty tv show going through an eight ball of coke. But because this type of social format offers, in a far more visual, intuitive, and user-friendly way, one of the most compelling features of Napster back in the day: the ability to see what's in someone else's music collection.

I'm listening to Ogden's Nut...by the Small Faces. While doing so (though I should be going back to working on a powerpoint slide) I instead click on the profile of others who have recently listened to this or have saved in their collections, and see if they come up with any good suggestions for me as to what to listen to next. Stu alert: both Fairport Convention and Glen Campbell come up, which leaves me to suspect that you have signed up under an alias.

Kind of a more hands-on approach to the 'Recommended if you Like' algorithm. They're edging closer to getting $10 out of me.

No comments: