Tuesday, March 01, 2011

I'm not sure about all those influences listed there--definitely a kitchen sink approach to musical referencing--but I definitely hear REM in a few of their songs, both the one you mentioned and others like, "We Both Go Down Together" from Picaresque which is similar, at least the musical arrangements, to "Losing My Religion". But I agree, they have a pretty distinct sound and not just because of Colin Meloy's unique voice. What other song does The Infanta immediately call to mind? Or The Rake's Song, either musically, vocally, lyrically? Please correct me if I'm missing an obvious reference point.

While the All Music Guide's list of all those artists may or may not adequately describe the Decemberists to newcomers, one sad consequence of reading it was having 'Year of the Cat' stuck in my head all damn day.

I love the concept of the NPR first listen but unless it's portable, I'm rarely in the position to listen to an entire streamed album. But I'll do you one better, Deeman, and buy the PJ disc b/c you and others are giving it much praise.

Also, anyone unhappy about the absence of reading material here is welcome to post at any time, even if it's just to simply answer a direct question from another poster. :)

No comments: