Thursday, March 03, 2011

Plus "Song on the Radio" charted for Big Al I believe. May sound familiar to you Kylie (does to me but I am woefully older).

__________________________________________________________________________

I'd like to pose a couple of questions to Metabeats Nation (sorry, but with the playoff run, I'm seeing everything through Leaf-coloured glasses), reflecting a conversation I had with my friend Glenn at lunch.

(1) "Road Songs" Glenn is going on a road trip with a buddy - who is a reformed alcoholic who has found Jesus, but still (or, to be fairer...."and") likes music and is a good lad - to the Masters in Augusta Georgia in April. They are doing the drive as one long event - day and night - and so Glenn, also a music lover, has decided he needs to put together a few CDs of good road music. I, of course, with oodles of time to spare in my personal life (ha!), offered to help.

So, Gentlemen of the Blog (plus Adam, 'cause I know you're reading this), my ask of you is to suggest your top 10 road songs, entirely without genre or timeframe (ie 40's, 60's 90's etc) limitations. If possible in the next few days, at which point I will begin compiling. Waiver: Thinly-veiled suggestions meant subtly to torture Glenn and his buddy may be eliminated.

(2) I don't like it (yes I do) - I found myself at lunch extolling the virtues (in an odd other-worldly voice that came from somewhere deep inside me) of The Eagles, and realized how fond I am of their big hits. Disaster was averted when Glenn, arms madly waving, broke me out of a trance in which I had worked up to the second chorus - in my own thin nasal like-way doing a mean Glenn Frey - of "One of These Nights", unaware of the incresingly brooding crowd of lunchers around me. Close call there.

Despite my buried passion for the seventies So Cal scene, it's probably fair to say that the Eagles are considered one of the least cool bands of all time. And yet, and yet. So I'd like to hear from you on which bands (and why) you are embarassed about loving?

Note: I also love (truly) much of the Monkees's oeuvre and the (early) Bee Gees so obviously don't embarrass easily.

No comments: