Sunday, March 13, 2011

I'm way behind here. Let's start with the driving tunes - I do definitely feel that there are some songs that are great to drive with, but I don't think the subject matter is the issue (i.e. songs about cars or driving). To me, they have to be songs with energetic, upbeat vibes. Songs that make you feel like you're going somewhere. Hard to explain exactly what I mean, but I've always thought that Alan Parsons instrumental songs are good to drive to - my list starts with one of those:

Hawkeye, Alan Parsons Project

The Friends of Mr. Cairo, Jon and Vangelis

Don’t Stop Me Now, Queen

London Calling, The Clash

Bitch, The Rolling Stones

Devil’s Haircut, Beck

Rebellion (Lies), Arcade Fire

Girlfriend is Better (live), Talking Heads

Watching the Detectives, Elvis Costello

Right Stuff, Bryan Ferry

Broken, Tears for Fears

When the Rainbow Comes, World Party


As for guilty pleasures - I've got lots of those. John Denver for example: I love his voice and his sense of melody. Neil Diamond was another guilty pleasure for years, but after a couple of cool covers of his tunes were released, he no longer has the same stigma. The aforementioned Alan Parsons Project - I've got 9 of his albums and I still enjoy listening to them. I have a Carpenters album - I really don't like all that many of their songs, but I think Karen Carpenter's voice is lovely.

But the Eagles are not a pleasure for me, guilty or otherwise. I can't explain it - I agree with Brian that their vocal work is beautiful, and their guitar playing is excellent. Their songwriting is reasonably sophisticated and varied. This is a band that I really should like, by all of the criteria that I use to judge music. But I don't. I've done a lot of campfire guitar strumming over the years, and the Eagles is one of the most often requested bands in those environments, but I've never learned one of their tunes. I've strummed and sang along while others play them, but even while I'm doing that, I don't find them engaging for some reason. I really can't explain it.

As a final note here - I've come to the point where I'm going to cancel my emusic membership. I don't find enough music on their site that I really want to download any more. I'm currently paying $11.99 a month for which I receive a total of $24.50 in credits. It seems a shame to let that deal go. It occurred to me that one of you could take it over (if you wish). You'd have to log in with my email address, but you could change the password and the credit card info, and keep the account live. If anybody is interested, let me know.




No comments: