Thursday, January 05, 2012

I'm happy with my years - there are a lot of good albums from '72, and '97 was also a pretty great year. But I thought that the idea was to focus on a single genre, and that is going to be difficult. I think that the decision to limit ourselves to 2 specific years has placed the focus squarely on timeframe and relegated genre to a distant back seat. Indeed, reading the posts below, all of the discussion is about the year - nobody is mentioning genre at all. Perhaps that we change if we were all required to declare a genre in advance, just as we have identified the years.

I fear we will all end up picking very broad definitions for our genre (i.e. "rock" or "dance") by neccessity, given the dual year constraint. And genre will not be the focus of our battles. Anybody else having similar thoughts?

No comments: